"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter..." Isaiah 64:8





Friday, January 28, 2011

No Merry-Go-Round

I pat my pony’s powder pink mane with a smile. The cheery music of the calliope is soothing, as is the gentle up and down motion of the horses. My hair tickles my chin in the soft breeze, and life is... easy.

But then the breeze turns to a strong gust of wind, snapping me out of my daze. I remember that the merry-go-round before me is wooden and motorless (as in, a guy pushes it around) with stationary horses that, if living, would be emaciated and scruffy. And I realize that a ride on this merry-go-round would be a waste of time. Because I’m already on a ride, one that is much more exciting, even life changing. I’m on the Potter’s Wheel.

This go on the wheel brings me to the outskirts of a tiny town called Ojojona in the one of the poorest countries in the western hemisphere: Honduras. Bleating goats, barking dogs, screaming kids, and a crying infant harmonize (or try to) in place of a merry tune. In a world ravaged by spiritual warfare, the daily ups and downs are anything but gentle. My hair, which is currently deprived of my usual “ethnic” shampoo, is on its way to becoming an afro. And life is HARD!

But life is good. Because little by little, God is chipping away at my heart. Little by little, he’s smoothing out the edges and making a vessel to be used by his purpose. And each time His potter’s hands touch my life, I remember that this is no merry-go-round.

1 comment:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Love hearing about your life and what a great writer you are. Keep going. Hang in. I'm praying for you, girl!
Barb