"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter..." Isaiah 64:8





Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Warm Welcome


I never forgot what it was like to be in this place, immersed in the community of kids, volunteers, and Tino’s family that is Tinkuy Peru , but the instant I saw Tino’s smiling face in the 4th floor window of his home on La Florida, I remembered exactly why it is that I have been dying to return ever since I left on August 23, 2010. You’re probably expecting me to tell you what that reason is, but, the thing is, I can’t explain it. There’s just something magical about this place that’s beyond words. If you want to understand it, look at my pictures, look at the kids, and you might get the tiniest glimpse of the joy that I have here. Better yet, book a plane ticket to Peru and come see for yourself. At the very least, read my story (and my sister’s), and hopefully you will see what it’s like to be covered in the magical pixie dust that is Tinkuy Peru, whether it be for the second time or the first.




July 31st: So back to Tino’s face in the window. Instants after glimpsing that smile through the glass, it was right in front of me, looking just like a little boy on Christmas. As Tino hugged me and welcomed my sister, I really felt like a long lost part of his family. Sipping coca tea with him and Mari, I couldn’t stop grinning as they filled me in on everything I’d missed at the mountain school. Many of my kids had stopped coming, but there were many new children as well. I could hardly wait to get there!

Cody and I unpacked, showered, and dressed as quickly as we could in order to get to the school before the morning session ended. I was afraid I would forget the way there, but I didn’t. Everything was almost exactly as I’d left it. Same dusty roads, same evil steps, same dalmation pigs…It was almost as if I’d never left.

When we arrived at the school, I took a deep breath. I knew that a lot would be different, and I didn’t want to create impossible expectations that would never be met. So I took a picture of the new paint on the door and turned the handle.

As soon as I peeked my head in, shouts of “Miss!” filled the air. Before I knew it, Geraldine’s arms were wrapped around my neck and Ana’s grin was about an inch from mine. I almost cried. For joy, right? Nope. For sorrow. Because in that moment, I realized that two weeks was way too short.

But I couldn’t cry. Because at that moment, I heard a familiar voice, a familiar goofy Peruvian accent on a simple English greeting. “Hello, Miss.”

“Jaime!” I shouted, with a wide grin and tears instantly forgotten. “How are you?”

And when he responded with the same silly answer from two years ago, I realized that maybe, just maybe, not that much had changed after all. “Very bad, Miss, very bad,” he said, struggling to suppress the smile that was never far from his lips.

I spent the next hour introducing Cody to the kids, failing at playing soccer, talking to old kids and new ones, and loving every minute of it.

After that was a delicious lunch (one thing I had forgotten was how good Mari’s cooking is) and a second walk up to the school. This time, I was greeted by a couple more familiar faces. Many of the kids were so tall! And so old! Cody and I sat in on English classes taught by two other volunteers to see where to start with the kids when I taught the following day. I was amazed at how much English the kids had learned in two years. They could actually understand, write, and even hold a real conversation in English, something that only the brightest students would have managed my first time around. It was so great to see that this program that I love so much is actually working!

At recess, I went around talking to and playing with as many kids as I could. Justi still towers above the rest and heads the ball in soccer every time the ball is kicked straight up in the air. Deysi is still wearing the sweater I sent her in the mail for Christmas the month after I left the first time. Luis remembers me, even though he was only five years old when I came before. Diana is graduating from high school this year and wants to go to Lima to become a flight attendant. Geraldine has graduated and is studying English at an institute in town. And Ana still treasures the photo I sent her of the two of us on my last day.

They’re precious. Every single one. Even the new ones: Kevin who is at least 6 feet tall but can’t make a basket to save his life, Heidi who thinks I’m psychic because I guessed her age on the first try, Pedro who looked at me in disgust when I missed an easy shot in a 2 on 2 soccer game, and so many more.

As we packed up for the day, Ana approached me for about the hundredth time that day. “Stay til Christmas?” she asked me. At my frown, she softly presented a question that broke my heart, “How can you leave in just two weeks?” And the truth is, I have no idea.




 July 31st: Upon my arrival to the house my sister and I are staying in, I got hugged and kissed by two total strangers: Tino and Mari, the master and lady of the house. You know you’re out of the States when people invade your personal space that way. The funny thing is I loved it. I had never felt so welcome anywhere but my own home, and since the homesickness had already begun to seep through my veins that was just what I needed.

After tea with Tino, which almost gave me an aneurism I was concentrating so hard trying to understand his rapid Spanish with my sister, I met the rest of my temporary family: Adele who hails from Newcastle, Samara from New York City, Cindy from Los Angeles and the two briefest members Anne and Nicole (Lu). Anne left about an hour after we arrived, which was sad because I feel we could have been great friends. She had short, spikey hair and a spunky personality and she loved WW1 about as much as I love WW2; she also wanted to be a history professor, but alas, too soon, she was gone. Lu left the day after our arrival. It’s her class Josy and I will be taking over, but she taught them so much I don’t know how Josy and I will be able to compete.

After we settled in we climbed the hill up to the school where I met the infamous “kids”. To my delight, I was again met with many hugs and kisses. I was so impressed with their English, especially Jocelyn; she wants to be an English teacher so she can help kids like we’re helping them. I think I love her. In the morning we just played and talked, but in the afternoon I was up in front of a classroom teaching with Cindy. We were working with the students on reading comprehension. I had to do it as well to make the key and let me tell you, this assignment was hard! It was like reading questions I remember doing for the ACT. It’s tough for a native speaker to read that closely and yet many of our students got a good percentage right. I was blown away.

After school Josy, Lu and I went to the Artesian Market where I bought myself a pair of nice, fuzzy, alpaca socks. I’m pretty excited about them. The things these people make with their hands astound me… I wish I was that skilled. On the way home we got some churros and they were so yummy! It was a great first day.

Fast forward to dinner time… I’m not feeling too well… I picked at my squash and potatoes and chicken as to not offend Mari, but boy was my stomach churning. I went to bed and then at 1:30 in the morning I had my first encounter with international food poisoning. I can’t remember being so sick. The following morning I could hardly move and Mari forbade me to try to go to school… I ate soup and drank Gatorade all day; I just hope it fixes me up fast because I am NOT missing another day of school. All the volunteers are staging a mock Olympics and I refuse to let the nation of Germany (my team) down!

                                                          
nail party with Mari


She somehow knew this churro couldn't
 be as good as it seemed


I'm back in Huancayo!

Cody with Jasmine

Jaime!
Dayana- she was just four last time!




1 comment:

writingdianet said...

Oh pancakes! This one made me cry. Because your all's magnificent level of preciousness came through in every word. I miss you both so much and am so very proud of you.
I just have one question. When are you all going back? 'Cause I wanna go too:() Por favore?

P.S. Hey Cody Brook, in that picture of you with that churro, you're making the same face I do!!