"Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter..." Isaiah 64:8





Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Una Semana Ya Se Fue?!

 Trying to cover a week in Peru in one blog post is like trying to take a picture of a sunset.  You just can’t do it justice.  Between the adorable kids and daily occurrences that can be neither expected nor prepared for, La Vida Peruana is a story meant to be lived, not read about.  But since you can’t all hop on a plane to Peru, I’ll try my best to capture this weeks’ events.  And where I can’t get it quite right, maybe Cody can help.




Wednesday I was well enough to return to school; we spent the morning making friendship bracelets, mine was horrendous, but it was fun nonetheless. That afternoon Josy and I went to the Huancayo Zoo. It was actually really fun, there was a monkey with a baby on its back eating a lollipop, how many people can say they’ve seen something like that? The afternoon classes were both pretty adorable. Cindy and I taught American idioms and the girls got a real kick out of it; then Josy and I did a chain story with the second class. It was so creative; it had a boat, ghosts, poisoned candy, and unlikely friends. I was so proud.

Thursday we played Capture the Flag in the morning and I was introduced to Team Germany in the afternoon. Although most of them have the athletic ability of a pillow, I couldn’t have asked for a better team. They are so sweet and eager to participate. That night all the volunteers got dragged into a street party. People were dancing and passing around a nasty bottle of beer that was probably full of backwash, there were ladies in traditional dress and they were all dancing the traditional dances of Peru. Then suddenly I was a part of it I got pulled into more pictures, asked to dance by strangers, and offered that nasty bottle, which I politely declined, more times than I can count . Yet strangely enough I had lot of fun. We all did, even Josy who was being followed by a belligerently drunk little old man. The night got even better when following dinner all the girls went to the square and sang various songs, we even were handed a sol for our performance of My Heart Will Go On.

Friday we decorated our team t-shirts and that night we went to La Cabana where I learned I will never be able to dance like a Latina, but I had a lot of fun trying. Saturday we went to the daily market to get some supplies for Olympics, we passed the meat section, and I swear the man who works the fish section has to be Voldemort or something…completely nose-less, because it smelled so terrible…I can’t even describe it and quite frankly I doubt you want to know. Later that day we went on our excursion. We went horse-back riding to Wawi Wawi Rock, which we hiked upon arrival. It was so beautiful and my horse Estrella was a new mother…she was so wonderful. Sunday was a very ethnic day. Cindy, Josy, Samara and I went to a park where we wore traditional clothes and everyone and their brother took our picture. Then afterwards we went got ceviche, the national dish of Peru, which was delicious by the way. And finally I attended my first and thank goodness only, Sunday Market. It was so stressful. It was crowded and there was so much to look at it was quite overwhelming, but I had a lot of good finds so I’d say it was worth it.

Monday, today, was the opening ceremony for the Tinkuay Peru Olympics. It was a big success I’d say. My team had their little flags, and our dance although not very synchronized, was very cute. And even though we’re gonna get our butts whooped in the days to come their patriotism for Germany and enthusiasm was adorable…their mispronunciation of ‘Deutschland’ warms my heart.


Anna is quite a yeller, haha
In just one week, there are sooo many things I could tell you about: horseback riding through tiny villages, shopping for hours in the Sunday market, attempting to dance Peruvian style at a random party in the street, posing like celebrities with all the locals that rarely see gringas, government meetings in “offices” that are actually picnic tables with plastic chairs, or the daily drama of Cody freaking out over whatever Mari’s cooked up for lunch. But as fun and crazy and weird as each of those things might be, all pale in comparison to the reason why I’m here. It’s all about the kids.

No matter how much fun I have going on excursions or shopping for souvenirs, I would trade all of it for a smile from Nikol or a giggle from Jaime. They’re just too cute for words. And they actually want to come to Tinkuy Peru. They’re on vacation from their regular school, and yet they show up twice a day to the mountain school to play with us gringos and learn some English. They’re just precious.

Although I’ve spent a lot of time with these kids, I never ceased to be amazed at how much they can teach me, especially about love. I think that’s what draws me about this place: my love for the kids, the kids’ love for me, and the way that both of those reflect the more perfect love that God has for each of us. Every time I think I understand such love, these kids remind me that I still have so much to learn. Two instances from this week stand out as prime examples.
Luis and I - 2010

flour battle 2010







#1 LUIS is one of the cutest kids I’ve ever met.  One of my favorite memories from my last trip to Peru is of him riding down the ramp at school on his wheely backpack.  That, or the flour battle on my last day, where he was the smallest but most excited kid on the court.  This time, he’s two years older but just as funny.  Last week, he insisted on teaching me to play cards on top of the slide, and the next day, he was became champion of Capture the Flag when he found the opponents flag and successfully brought it back to his side.  I love him to death, and the best feeling in the world was when we were picking teams for the Olympics, and he came right up to me and said, “Please, Miss, I want to be on your team!”   
 
Luis and I - 2012
 This little boy was returning my love in an even greater way than he could have realized.  With that one expression, not only was he saying, “Yes, Miss, I want to be close to you like you want to be close to me,”  but he was also saying, “I want to represent you, Miss, to fight for you!”  Perhaps I’m overanalyzing the simple words of a six year old, but even so, his desire to be loyal to me warmed my heart.  And I imagine it’s the same way with God.  He loves us fiercely, which is so, so special.  But there is also a very precious connection that occurs when we choose to love him back, when we want  to be on his “team,” and when we’re willing to fight for Him. 

  
me and Kevin- 2010

 #2 KEVIN’s story is not so heartwarming. He used to LOVE Tinkuy Peru. He was so funny and adored Miss Molly and I. He was such a dedicated student that the program even gave him a bike for Christmas last year. And he was such a sweetheart. He used to have the biggest crush on me, and he would always bring me flowers before class. Last time, on my last day, he gave me a photo of his family to remember him by. So naturally, I was excited to see him this time around.

When I arrived, though, I was disappointed to find out that he and his brothers had stopped coming to the school. However, realizing that this might be the fault of his parents, I did not hold this against him. Every day as I walked to school, I hoped to see him in the neighborhood, and finally, at the end of last week, I saw him standing with his new bike on the path near the school. Thrilled to see him, I made a fool of myself waving and yelling his name. I saw the recognition light up his face as he looked up, and I expected him to run over. But his excitement faded as quickly as it had appeared, and he mounted his bike and began to ride in the other direction. Sure that there had been some mistake, I yelled out his name and begged him to come say hi and meet my sister. He looked back but didn’t stop.

I almost cried. Or maybe I did cry a little. I can’t remember, but I do know what I was thinking. Why did this child, who so dearly loved me before, now utterly reject me? I still have no idea. But what I do know is this: We have a heavenly Father who is heartbroken over every one of his children that has, for whatever reason, decided to walk away from Him, to leave the flock, to forsake His love. And we’ve got to fight to get them back. Because, even while they run away from Him, and even while they break His heart, He doesn’t love them any less.



adorable monkeys at the zoo

Cody and Adele with their Capture the Flag team

climbing Wawi Wawi after the horseback ride

photos with strangers at the Santiago party in the street


tres leches cake with Adele after school

Cody riding Estrella


how pretty is Peru?!

about to pick teams for the Olympics: Olympic blog coming soon!


photos in the park with the girls (minus Adele)




1 comment:

writingdianet said...

So good to hear from you two again:)
"Athletic as a pillow"? That is soo great!! And Josy, the story of Luis made me cry. I'm guessing he is ashamed that he no longer attends Tinkuy and can't bear to face you as a result. Go after him. Yell, "It's okay, Luis. I still love you."